By Adam Gaffin
A fire started by a homeless man knocked out service between Boston and
New York on the experimental Internet2 network Tuesday night.
Chris Robb, an engineer at Indiana University's Global Network
Operations Center who works on Internet2, says Level 3 Communications
cables used by the network went up in flames. The cables were on the
Longfellow Bridge, which connects Boston and Cambridge across the
Robb, who co-authors the Internet2 Network Upgrade blog , writes that
Level 3 engineers estimate it could take one to two days to restore the
circuit. Engineers are looking at rerouting a Chicago-to-New York OC-192
circuit that normally goes through Boston to Washington until service is
Robb writes: "Question: When can a cigarette take down your network?
Answer: When you throw it at a bridge and light it on fire."
Authorities say the fire, which also disrputed service on the Red Line
subway, started around 8:20 p.m. when a homeless man tossed a lit
cigarette. The cigarette landed on a mattress, which ignited and led to
a two-alarm fire .
Subscribe to InfoSec News