By Michael Ha
A Defense Ministry spokesman assured Tuesday that the department's
cyber-security system is "hacker-proof," adding that its intra-net
computer data network is detached from the external Internet.
The ministry's announcement was designed to address new security
concerns in wake of the arrest of a North Korean defector who was
allegedly working for North Korean intelligence.
Local media have reported that Won Jung-hwa, 34, had allegedly collected
e-mail addresses of a number of South Korean military officials. The
reports said these e-mail addresses may have been used by hackers to
break into the Defense Ministry's computer network. In fact, the Korean
military officials issued a security warning to its personnel last month
when some staff began receiving e-mails with attachments containing
But Defense Ministry spokesman Won Tae-jae told local reporters during a
press briefing Tuesday that the ministry's intra-net network is not
connected to the external Web, "so that outsiders can't approach the
internal network through the Internet."
Register now for HITBSecConf2008 - Malaysia! With
a new triple-track conference featuring 4 keynote
speakers and over 35 international experts, this
is the largest network security event in Asia and
the Middle East!