Indo-Asian News Service
January 15, 2010
The Prime Minister's Office (PMO) has said there was "no breach" in the
security systems of its computers or those in other central government
Asked about a media report that hackers from China have targeted
computers in the Prime Minister's Office (PMO), an official in the PMO
denied the report.
"Attempts have always been there to hack our computers, but we have our
security systems in place," a PMO official told IANS.
"There has been no breach on our security system, we are absolutely
safe," PMO media adviser Harish Khare told IANS.
According to a Headlines Today TV channel report, hackers from China had
targeted computers in the PMO around Dec 15 last year and "investigators
are still coming to terms with the depth of the damage".
It said the hackers had aimed at the "cream of India's national security
set-up: National Security Advisor M.K. Narayanan, Cabinet Secretary KM
Chandrashekhar, PM's Special Envoy Shyam Saran and Deputy National
Security Advisor Shekhar Dutt. The four and up to 26 others were
squarely in the crosshairs of the hacking attempt".
"The hacking spyware itself was embedded in a PDF document. And the
Trojan Horse was programmed to carry out an array of functions,
including downloading files, accessing emails and passwords and also
accessing the desktop from a remote location," it said.
Did a friend send you this? From now on, be the
first to find out! Subscribe to InfoSec News