THE DONG-A ILBO
July 07, 2010
North Korea was behind the cyber attacks that occurred a year ago
Wednesday, according to a government IT source in South Korea.
The distributed denial of service, or DDoS, attacks paralyzed more than
20 domestic sites including those of the presidential office and major
On foreign media reports saying no evidence linked the North to the
attacks, Jeong Seok-hwa, investigation director at the Cyber Terror
Response Center in charge of the investigation, said, "No country
including the U.S. could identify the origin of the DDoS attacks that
occurred a year ago. Thankfully, the discovery by Korean investigation
agencies has been the most credible so far."
On how he was sure that it was Pyongyang, Jeong said, "It might be too
early to conclude this, but the facts so far have shown that the IP
address used for the attacks was the same one rented by North Korea's
Posts and Telecommunications Ministry from a Chinese Internet provider."
Attend Black Hat USA 2010, hosted at Caesars Palace in Las Vegas, Nevada
July 24-29th, offering over 60 training sessions and 11 tracks of Briefings
from security industry elite. To sign up visit http://www.blackhat.com