Endives au gratin
Last updated 6/12/2012 12:56:25 AM. Recipe ID 18619. Report a problem with this recipe.
Title: Endives au gratin
Categories: Misc, Canadian
Yield: 1 Servings
6 lg Endives
4 oz Soft bread, crust removed,
3/4 c Milk
5 oz Ham, cut in little squares
2 Hard-boiled eggs
2/3 c Light cream
3 tb Grated gruyere cheese
2 tb Butter
1/4 ts Nutmeg
Salt, pepper to taste
1. Using a sharp, pointed knife remove the hard cone at the base of
each endive. Remove also the not-so-nice-looking outer leaves, if
any. Wash the endives under running water.
2. Boil salted water in a pot large enough to take the six endives.
Boil the endives for 10 minutes.
3. Remove from water, let cool a bit and cut them lenghtwise in two.
BUT DO NOT CUT COMPLETELY. The two halves must stay attached to each
other. Drain on paper towels.
4. Put the soft bread in the milk. Mash the hard-boiled eggs with a
fork. Mix together the ham, the eggs and the bread/milk mixture. Add
salt, pepper and the nutmeg. Mix well.
5. Butter a gratin dish. Fill each endive with the mixture and put,
one by one, in the gratin dish.
6. Pour the cream over the endives, and the grated cheese. Add some
little cubes of butter over the dish. Put in a warm 400 F oven for 15
Posted By email@example.com (Demers Serge) On rec.food.recipes
Didn't find the recipe you were looking for? Search for more here!