Last updated 6/12/2012 1:00:20 AM. Recipe ID 23450. Report a problem with this recipe.
Title: Mamamia's lasagna
Categories: Main dish, Pasta
Yield: 8 Servings
3/4 lb Ground Beef
1 lb Italian Sausage, Hot/Sweet
1/2 c Onion, Chopped
2 ea Garlic Cloves, Crushed
2 tb Sugar
1 tb Salt
2 ts Ground black pepper
2 ts Basil Leaves, crushed
1/2 ts Fennel Seed
1/2 c Chopped Parsley
4 c Tomatoes, Undrained
12 oz Tomato Paste
1 tb Salt
12 ea Lasagna Noodles
15 oz Ricotta or Cottage Cheese
1 ea Egg
1/2 ts Salt
3/4 lb Mozzarella Cheese,
3 oz Parmesan Cheese, Grated
1. Remove sausage meat from outer casings and chop up the
2. In a 5-quart Dutch Oven and over medium heat, saute sausage,
beef, onion, and garlic; stir frequently until both sausage
and beef are well browned.
3. Add sugar, 1 tablespoon salt, basil, fennel, pepper, and half
the parsley; mix well.
4. Add tomatoes, tomato paste, and 1/2 cup water; mashing
tomatoes with a wooden spoon.
5. Bring to boiling; reduce heat; simmer, covered and stirring
occasionally until it thickens. (Appx 1 1/2 hours) 6. In a
8-quart kettle, bring 3 quarts water and 1 tablespoon
salt to boiling.
7. Add lasagna and allow water to return to a boil; uncovered
and continue stirring until they are tender.
8. Drain and rinse under cold water. Dry lasagna on paper
9. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. 10. In medium sized bowl, combine
ricotta or cottage cheese, egg,
remaining parsley and salt; mix well. 11. Spoon 1 1/2 cups sauce
into a 9x13x2 inch baking dish. 12. Layer with 1/2 of the lasagna,
lengthwise and overlapping, to
cover. 13. Spread with half of the ricotta or cottage cheese
top with one-third of mozzarella. 14. Spoon 1 1/2 cups sauce over
cheese; sprinkle with 1/4 cup
Parmesan. 15. Repeat layering, starting with the remaining half
lasagna and ending with 1 1/2 cups sauce sprinkled with
Parmesan. 16. Spread with remaining sauce; top with rest of
Parmesan. 17. Cover with foil and tuck it around the edges of the
dish. 18. Bake 25 minutes; remove foil; bake uncovered another 25
minutes or until Mamamia's Lasagna begins to bubble. 19. Cool
for 15 minutes prior to serving.
Didn't find the recipe you were looking for? Search for more here!