Spanish white bean soup
Spanish Soups Pork Beans
Last updated 6/12/2012 1:01:02 AM. Recipe ID 24321. Report a problem with this recipe.
Title: Spanish white bean soup
Categories: Soups, Pork, Beans
Yield: 6 servings
1 lb White beans - dried
16 c Water, divided
2 1/2 lb Ham hocks - 4 hocks
1 1/4 c Leeks - diced
2 c Onions - chopped
1 ts Garlic - chopped
1/2 ts Thyme - dried
1 ts Olive oil
1 1/2 c Carrots - chopped
1 1/2 c Turnips - cubed
1/4 c Coriander - fresh, chopped
1. Inspect the beans for imperfections or stones and rinse them
under cold water. Place in a soup pot with 4 cups water. Bring to a
boil and cook for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and cool for 30
2. Drain the beans and return them to the soup pot with the
remaining 12 cups water. Add the ham hocks, cover, and bring to a
boil. Reduce to a simmer.
3. Meanwhile, saute the leeks, onions, garlic and thyme in the olive
oil over medium heat until wilted, about 5 minutes. Add to the soup
4. Cook, covered, for 1 1/2 hours. Add the carrots and turnips and
cook for 30 minutes more.
5. Remove the hocks and cool. When cool enough to handle, remove
the meat from the bones, discarding the fat. Add the meat to the pot.
6. Add the coriander and serve.
Yield: 8 to 10 servings.
Didn't find the recipe you were looking for? Search for more here!