Braised spiced leeks
Last updated 6/12/2012 1:02:55 AM. Recipe ID 26575. Report a problem with this recipe.
Title: Braised spiced leeks
Categories: Side dishes, Vegetables
Yield: 8 Servings
8 md Leeks
1 1/2 c Vegetable or other stock
1 tb Olive oil
1/4 c Medium-dry sherry
2 tb Soy sauce
2 ts Liquid sweetener
1/2 ts Five-spice powder
1. Combine the sherry, soy sauce, honey and five-spice powder. Set
2. Trim the root ends of the leeks close, but not so close that the
layers separate. Cut off the dark green part of the leeks and reserve
for another use. Lay the leeks flat on a cutting surface and split
them in half lengthwise almost all the way through to within an inch
of the root end, making sure they don't separate. Rinse the leeks
under warm running water, scrubbing lightly with a vegetable brush to
remove all the sand.
3. Cook the leeks in the stock and butter over low heat in a partially
covered ovenproof skillet until the liquid has almost evaporated,
about 30 minutes.
4. Preheat the oven to 350F.
5. Pour the seasoning sauce over the leeks and bake uncovered for 20
minutes. Remove the skillet from the oven and place over high heat.
Baste the leeks several times, until the sauce has reduced and
caramelized, 3-5 minutes. Serve hot or at room temperature.
"The Occasional Vegetarian" by Karen Lee. Posted by Diane Lazarus
Didn't find the recipe you were looking for? Search for more here!