Roasted winter squash soup
Squash Soups Appetizers Vegetables
Last updated 6/12/2012 1:02:55 AM. Recipe ID 26588. Report a problem with this recipe.
Title: Roasted winter squash soup
Categories: Soups, Appetizers, Vegetables
Yield: 6 Servings
1 lg Acorn squash
1/4 c Walnuts, shelled
1 ts Olive oil
1 md Leek, chopped
1 tb Olive oil
1 tb Sage, chopped or
1 ts Dried sage
1/8 ts Five-spice powder
4 c Vegetable or other stock
1/2 ts Salt
1/4 ts Pepper
1 md Apple
1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
2. Halve and seed the squash. Turn the cut side down and bake on a
cookie sheet or in a shallow roasting pan until the flesh is tender,
45 minutes to 1 hour.
3. Combine the walnuts with the olive oil and spread on a cookie
sheet. Roast the walnuts alongside the squash until they turn deep
brown, 7-8 minutes. Set aside.
4. Meanwhile, in a heavy pot, sauté the leek in the olive oil for 1-2
minutes. Add the sage and five-spice powder. Cover and cook until the
leek is soft, about 10 minutes./ Add the stock, salt and pepper and
bring to a simmer, then uncover.
5. Peel, core, and dice the apple. Add it to the simmering stock and
cook until soft, about 15 minutes.
6. Remove the squash from its shell. Dice and add to the pot. Simmer
for a few minutes, then purée the soup by passing it through a food
mill or by pulsing it in a blender or food processor.
Can be prepared several hours ahead.
7. When ready to serve, gently reheat the soup. Serve hot with roasted
walnuts sprinkled on top.
"The Occasional Vegetarian" by Karen Lee. Posted by Diane Lazarus
Didn't find the recipe you were looking for? Search for more here!