Amy Scherber's Organic Whole Wheat Sandwich Bread Part #1
[an error occurred while processing this directive]

[an error occurred while processing this directive]
Amy Scherber's Organic Whole Wheat Sandwich Bread Part #1
Last updated 6/12/2012 1:03:51 AM. Recipe ID 28029. Report a problem with this recipe.
[an error occurred while processing this directive]

      Title: Amy scherber's organic whole wheat sandwich bread part #1
 Categories: Bread
      Yield: 2 Lg loaves
      1 ts Active dry yeast
    1/4 c  (2 ounces) very warm water
           (105 to 115 degrees F)
  3 3/4 c  Or more if necessary (18 1/2
           Ounces) organic whole wheat
  2 3/4 c  (12 1/2 ounces) organic
           Unbleached all-purpose
      2 c  (6 ounces) organic
           Old-fashioned rolled oats
      2 tb (3/4 ounce) Kosher salt
  1 1/2 c  (12 ounces) Sponge Starter
  2 1/2 c  (20 ounces) cool water ( 75
           Degrees F)
      3 tb (1 1/2 ounces) honey
      3 tb (1 1/2 ounces ) molasses
      2 tb (1 ounce) Canola oil (or
           Other vegetable oil)
      2 c  (8 ounces) pecan pieces,
           Additional rolled oats for
  Two 9 by 5-inch loaf pans, oiled
  Place the yeast and warm water in a large bowl and stir with a fork to
  dissolve the yeast. Let stand for about 3 minutes.
  Whisk the whole wheat flour, unbleached flour, oats, and salt
  together in a medium bowl.
  Add the sponge starter, cool water, honey, molasses, and oil to the
  yeast mixture. Mix with your fingers for 1 to 2 minutes, just long
  enough to break up the sponge (the mixture should look milky and be
  slightly foamy). Add the flour mixture to the bowl and stir with your
  fingers to incorporate the flour, scraping the sides of the bowl and
  folding the dough over itself until it gathers into a shaggy mass.
  Don't be concerned if the dough feels very sticky at this point.
  Lightly flour a work surface. Remove the dough from the bowl and
  knead it for 6 to 8 minutes, until it becomes compact and elastic. It
  should be very moist but not mushy. If it feels too stiff to knead,
  add water 1 tablespoon at a time until you have a soft, malleable
  dough. If it's sloppy wet and impossible to knead, add another 1/4 to
  1/3 cup (1 1/4 to 1 2/3 ounces) of whole wheat flour. Shape the dough
  into a loose ball and let it rest, covered with plastic wrap, on the
  lightly floured work surface for 20 minutes. (This rest period is the
  Flatten the dough and stretch it gently into a rectangle about an inch
  thick. Spread the pecans and raisins evenly over the dough. Fold the
  whole mass into an envelope and knead and fold it gently until the
  nuts are well distributed, about 2 to 3 minutes. If the dough
  resists, let it rest for 5 minutes and then continue kneading. Some
  of the nuts may pop out of the dough, but they can easily be
  incorporated again after the first rise, when the dough has softened.
  Shape the dough into a loose ball and place it in a lightly oiled
  bowl, along with any loose nuts. Turn the dough to coat the top with
  oil, and cover the bowl tightly with plastic wrap. Let the dough rise
  at room temperature (75 to 77 degrees F) until it has doubled in
  volume, about 2 1/2 to 3 hours. (You can also refrigerate this dough
  overnight and shape it and bake it the next day: Let it rise for 1
  hour at room temperature, or until it looks slightly puffy but not
  doubled, before refrigerating. The next day, let it rise for 2 hours
  at room temperature before shaping it.)
  When the dough has doubled, loosen it from the bowl with lightly
  floured hands and gently pour it onto a floured work surface. Press
  any loose pecans into the dough and divide it into 2 equal pieces.
  Shape each piece into a log. Spread the oats for topping on a flat
  plate or baking sheet. Use a pastry brush or a plant sprayer to
  lightly moisten the top of each log with water, then roll the tops of
  the loaves in the oats. Place each loaf seam side down in an oiled 9
  by 5-inch loaf pan. Cover them with plastic wrap and allow to rise
  for about 2 hours, or until they have doubled in size (a finger
  pressed into the dough will leave an indentation).
  Thirty minutes before baking, preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
  Place a baking stone in the oven to preheat and place an empty water
  pan directly below the stone.
  When the loaves have doubled, place the pans on the baking stone.
  Quickly pour 1 cup of very hot water into the water pan and
  immediately shut the door. After 1 minute, using a plant sprayer,
  mist the loaves quickly 6 to 8 times then shut the oven door. Repeat
  the misting procedure 1 minute later.
  Bake for 15 minutes, then reduce the oven temperature to 375 degrees
  F and bake for 20 to 25 minutes longer, until the loaves sound
  slightly hollow when tipped out of the pan and tapped on the bottom.
  The sides and bottom of the loaf should feel firm and slightly
  crusty. If the tops are browned but the sides are still somewhat
  soft, place the loaves directly on the stone to bake for 5 to 10
  minutes longer. Transfer the loaves from the pans to a rack and allow
  to cool completely before slicing.
  continued in part 2 

Didn't find the recipe you were looking for? Search for more here!

[an error occurred while processing this directive]
Recipe ID 28029 (Apr 03, 2005)

[an error occurred while processing this directive]