Last updated 6/12/2012 1:04:39 AM. Recipe ID 29224. Report a problem with this recipe.
Title: Apple-ginger pudding
Categories: Desserts, Fruit, Pudding, Apples
Yield: 6 Servings
6 tb Butter
3 c Apples; peeled cored and
3 tb Plus 1/2 cup sugar
1/2 c Finely diced crystalized
3 1/2 c Firm textured white bread in
2 c Milk
1 ts Vanilla extract
1/4 ts Ground ginger
1. Butter a six to 8 cup mold, casserole or baking dish.
2. Melt two tablespoons of the butter in a large heavy skillet over
medium-high heat. When the foam subsides. add the apples, increase to
high and saute the apples, turning them frequently for about 5
minutes until they begin to color. Do not allow them to become soft
or lose their shape.
3.Add three tablespoons of sugar and saute another minute or two
until the sugar begins to carmelize. Stir in the crystalized ginger,
remove from heat and transfer the apples and ginger to a bowl.
4. Reduce heat to low, add the remaining four tablespoons of butter
to the skillet. When the butter has melted, scrape the pan to loosen
any bits of carmelized sugar clinging to it. Add the bread cubes and
toss them in the butter until they are evenly coated.
5. Scatter half the apples and ginger into the baking dish.Cover with
half the bread cubes. Repeat the layers.
6. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
7. Lightly beat the eggs and one-half cup of sugar. Scald the milk.
Slowly pour the scalded milk in a thin stream into the egg mixture,
stirring constantly. Stir in the vanilla and ground ginger. Pour over
the apples and bread in the baking dish.
8. Set the dish in a pan and add boiling water to come halfway up the
sides of the baking dish. Place in the middle of the oven and bake 45
minutes, until the top is crusty and golden. Serve while still warm.
Didn't find the recipe you were looking for? Search for more here!