Boned, braised duck
Last updated 6/12/2012 1:09:43 AM. Recipe ID 36746. Report a problem with this recipe.
Title: Boned, braised duck
Yield: 6 Servings
1 Duck; 4 to 5 pounds
2 Spanish onions
2 tb Oil
1 Clove garlic
1 -(up to)
2 sl Fresh ginger root
3 tb Hoisin sauce
1 tb Sherry
1 ts Sugar
2 ts Soy sauce
1/2 ts Five spices
1/4 ts Salt
1/4 ts Pepper
1 ts Soy sauce
3 -(up to)
4 tb Oil
6 -(up to)
6 c Water
1 lb Spinach
1. Bone duck (see "HOW-TO SECTION"). Cut breast in two and spread
bird out flat, skin-side down.
2. Cut onions in wedges. Heat oil and stir-fry onions to soften
slightly. Transfer to a bowl.
3. Mince garlic and ginger root. Add to bowl along with hoisin sauce,
sherry, sugar, soy sauce, Five Spices, salt and pepper. Blend well and
spread over inside surface of duck. Sew up bird securely to seal in
mixture. Rub remaining soy sauce over duck skin.
4. Heat remaining oil and brown duck on all sides. Meanwhile bring
water to a boil.
5. Add 1 cup boiling water to bowl in which seasoning mixture had
been blended originally; stir up leftover bits to make a sauce, then
pour over duck. Add enough of remaining boiling water to barely cover
duck. Simmer, covered, until duck is puffed up and tender (1 to 1-1/2
hours). Meanwhile wash spinach and remove tough stems.
6. Transfer 1/2 cup duck gravy to another pan and reheat. Add spinach,
stirring to soften slightly. Sprinkle spinach with salt to taste and
transfer to a serving platter. Place duck on top, breast-side up.
From , ISBN 0-517-65870-4.
Didn't find the recipe you were looking for? Search for more here!