Braised duck (in parts)
Last updated 6/12/2012 1:10:00 AM. Recipe ID 37111. Report a problem with this recipe.
Title: Braised duck (in parts)
Yield: 4 Servings
1 Duck; 4 to 5 pounds
1/2 tb Sugar
2 tb Sherry
2 tb Hoisin sauce
1 ts Cornstarch
1 ts Salt
1 Clove garlic
2 sl Fresh ginger root
3 -(up to)
4 tb Oil
4 tb Soy sauce
3 c Water
1. With a cleaver, split duck down the back; then chop each half,
bones and all, in 4 or 5 pieces. Combine sugar, sherry, hoisin sauce,
cornstarch and salt. Rub over duck and let stand 30 minutes.
2. Cut scallions in 1/2-inch sections; crush garlic and ginger root.
3. Heat oil in a large heavy pan. Add scallions, garlic and ginger
and stir-fry a few times. Add duck and brown lightly on all sides.
Drain off excess fat.
4. Add soy sauce and water and simmer, covered, until tender (45
minutes to 1 hour).
VARIATIONS: During the last 30 minutes of cooking, add any of the
1. 1 to 2 cups bamboo shoots, cubed or sliced
2. 4 cups Chinese lettuce, cut in 1-inch sections
3. 1 pound chestnuts, blanched and shelled
4. 6 eggs, hardboiled and shelled but left whole
5. 8 to 10 dried black mushrooms (soaked)
During the last 20 minutes of cooking, add any of the following:
1. 2 pounds potatoes, peeled and cut in 2-inch cubes
2. 1 pound string beans, stemmed but left whole
During the last 3 minutes of cooking add 1 green pepper, diced
From , ISBN 0-517-65870-4.
Didn't find the recipe you were looking for? Search for more here!