Braised duck with potatoes
Last updated 6/12/2012 1:10:00 AM. Recipe ID 37118. Report a problem with this recipe.
Title: Braised duck with potatoes
Yield: 8 Servings
1 Duck; 6 to 7 pounds
2 lb Potatoes
1/4 c Oil
3 Cloves garlic
2 Leek stalks
1/4 c Red bean cheese
2 1/2 tb Brown bean sauce
2 ts Salt
1 tb Sugar
4 tb Soy sauce
1/4 c Sherry
1 Clove star anise
1 tb Oil
6 c Water
1 Clove star anise
1/2 Head lettuce
2 ts Cornstrch
2 tb Water
Few sprigs Chinese parsley
1. Wipe duck inside and out with a damp cloth. Peel potatoes and cut
in thick slices. (Keep in cold water until ready to use.)
2. Heat oil in a large heavy pan. Brown duck quickly on all sides.
Drain off excess fat. Tie or sew up duck's neck to seal. Place bird
tail-side up in a deep bowl.
3. Crush garlic. Cut leeks in 2-inch sections. In one cup mash red
bean cheese with brown bean sauce and salt. In another, combine
sugar, soy sauce, sherry and star anise.
4. Heat remaining oil and brown garlic lightly. Add red bean cheese
mixture and cook, stirring over medium heat, to blend and heat
5. Add water, leek sections and sugar-soy mixture. Continue stirring
to blend and heat.
6. Pour 1 to 2 cups of this sauce mixture into duck cavity. Add
remaining star anise. Sew up cavity securely or skewer so that liquid
cannot leak out.
7. Leave remaining sauce mixture in pan and bring to a boil. Add
duck and potato slices and simmer, covered, 20 minutes. Turn bird
over and simmer, covered, 20 minutes more.
8. Remove duck, leaving liquids in pan. Let bird cool slightly; then
chop, bones and all, in 2-inch sections. Shred lettuce and arrange on
a serving platter with duck and potato slices on top.
9. Reheat liquids in pan. Meanwhile blend cornstarch and remaining
cold water to a paste, then stir in to thicken liquids. Pour over
duck and potatoes. Garnish with Chinese parsley.
From , ISBN 0-517-65870-4.
Didn't find the recipe you were looking for? Search for more here!