Chicken and sausage paella
Last updated 6/12/2012 1:13:34 AM. Recipe ID 42069. Report a problem with this recipe.
Title: Chicken and sausage paella
Yield: 10 Servings
3 Heads garlic; cloves Peeled,
2 tb Olive oil
6 c Chicken broth; low fat
2 Whole chicken breasts; Boned
-and skinned; cut into
2 tb Paprika
1 lb Turkey sausage; cut into
2 lg Onions; chopped
2 lg Red bell peppers; cored,
-Seeded and cut into 2-Inch
4 md Zucchini OR yellow
-squash OR eggplant; sliced
10 Cloves garlic; large,
3 c Rice; long-grain white
12 Plum tomatoes; cored and
4 Sun-dried tomatoes packed In
-oil; drained and Julienned
1/2 c Whole green olives;
-Unpitted (French or Calif.)
1 c Parsley; fresh Italian,
1/2 ts Saffron threads
1/2 ts Salt
1/2 ts Crushed red pepper flakes
4 Ears fresh corn; husked And
-cut into 2-inch pieces
1. Trim the tops off the garlic heads with a sharp knife. Place the
garlic, 1 tablespoon olive oil, and 1/2 cup of chicken broth in a
small saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the
heat and simmer for 30 minutes, basting frequently or until the
garlic is soft. Set aside.
2. Preheat the oven to 350F.
3. Season the chicken on all sides with paprika. In a very large
ovenproof skillet with 3-inch sides, heat the remaining olive oil
over medium-high heat. Brown the chicken on all sides, about 5
minutes altogether. Remove the chicken to a large plate and drain off
4. Brown the sausage on all sides in the skillet, about 8 minutes.
Drain off the oil. Add to the chicken.
5. In the oil remaining in the skillet, saute the onion, pepper,
zucchini and garlic until the vegetables start to brown slightly. Add
the rice and stir until the rice starts to brown, about 5 minutes.
6. Add the plum tomatoes, sun-dried tomatoes, olives, and 1/2 cup
parsley to the rice mixture.
7. Combine the saffron, salt, and red pepper flakes with the remaining
chicken broth, and pour over the rice. Stir to combine and turn the
heat to high.
8. Return the chicken and sausage to the skillet. Bury the whole
garlic heads in the middle of the skillet, along with any chicken
broth left in the saucepan. Bring to a boil.
9. Place the skillet immediately into the oven, uncovered, and bake
for 30 minutes. Remove the skillet; add the corn, pushing the pieces
into the rice mixture. Return to the oven and bake for another 30
10. Remove the skillet, sprinkle with remaining parsley, and serve
immediately, directly from the skillet.
NOTE: Carefully lift the whole garlic heads and pass them at the
table to spread on French bread.
Calories: 490 Carbohydrates: 70 g Protein: 3 g Cholesterol: 44 mg
Fat/% Fat: 2 g/25% fat calories
Didn't find the recipe you were looking for? Search for more here!