Chile verde (green chile and pork stew)
Pork Mexican Chiles Greens Stews
Last updated 6/12/2012 1:14:23 AM. Recipe ID 43255. Report a problem with this recipe.
Title: Chile verde (green chile and pork stew)
Categories: Mexican, Pork
Yield: 8 Servings
10 Green chile; (or canned
-whole green chile)
4 lb Pork roast; trimmed and cut
-in 1-inch cubes
1 Onion; coarsely chopped
3 Cloves garlic; crushed
1/2 ts Ground cumin
1 ts Oregano
3 lg Tomatoes; peeled and cut
1 ts Salt
1/2 ts Freshly ground black pepper
1. Roast and peel the chiles, tear into strips and set aside. Removal
of seeds and veins is optional in this recipe. If canned chiles are
used, rinse and tear into strips.
2. Cover meat with cold water, bring to a boil, cover and reduce to
simmer, cooking 1 hour. Allow meat to cool in its own broth until
easy to handle. Trim fat from meat.
3. Over medium-low heat, render remaining fat from meat and allow
meat to brown. Remove meat and drippings from pot.
4. Measure out 2 tablespoons drippings. Saute onion and garlic in
drippings and allow onion to cook soft. Stir in the cumin and
oregano. Add the tomatoes and chile strips and allow tomatoes to cook
soft. Add meat, salt and pepper.
5. Cover and cook 10 minutes over medium-high heat. Lower to
medium-low, uncover and cook an additional 20 minutes. Garnish with
Variation: This stew is also made using tomatillos rather than red
tomatoes. Replace the 3 large tomatoes with 2 cans (10 oz. each)
tomatillos, drained, or 1 pound fresh tomatillos, cooked and drained.
Didn't find the recipe you were looking for? Search for more here!