Chili meat loaf
Chili Meat Loaf
Last updated 6/12/2012 1:14:31 AM. Recipe ID 43458. Report a problem with this recipe.
Title: Chili meat loaf
Yield: 12 Servings
4 Sweet Italian sausages
2 lb Ground beef
1 lb Ground pork
1 c Red kidney beans; drained
1/2 c Coarsely grated yellow onion
2 Cloves garlic; finely
1 tb Dijon-style mustard
2 tb Tomato paste
2 Scallions; thinly sliced
2 tb Chili powder
2 ts Salt
1 1/2 ts Black pepper
1 1/2 ts Ground cumin
1 ts Dried basil
1 ts Dried oregano
2 c Sweet red peppers; cut in
2 c Coarsely grated sharp
2 c Chopped pitted black olives
1 c Coarsely chopped parsley
1/3 lb Bacon strips
1. Carefully prick sausages with a fork and place in a skillet.
Cover with water, bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 20
minutes. Drain. Discard water. Return sausages to skillet and brown
lightly over medium heat. Reserve on paper towel.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
3. In a large bowl, combine ground beef and pork, kidney beans,
onion, garlic, mustard, eggs, tomato paste, scallions, chili powder,
salt, pepper, cumin, basil and oregano. Mix gently with your hands,
but do not overmix.
4. On a flat surface, place a 20-inch square piece of waxed paper.
With hands, spread meat loaf mixture to form a 12x15-inch rectangle.
5. Spread red peppers evenly over surface, patting down slightly.
Cover peppers evenly with grated Cheddar cheese, then olives and next
the parsley. Pat all into place.
6. Place the reserved sausages in a line along one of the long ends
of the meat rectangle.
7. Using the waxed paper, carefully roll meat and stuffing into a
jelly-roll shape. Place in a shallow baking pan, seam side down.
8. Lay the bacon strips crosswise over the loaf. Bake for 1 hour and
10 minutes, or until bacon is browned. With two long spatulas,
carefully remove loaf to a serving platter. Let rest 15 minutes
before slicing (so filling will hold decorative pattern) or serve at
room temperature. Serves 10-12.
From a collection of my mother's (Judy Hosey) recipe box which
contained lots of her favorite recipes, clippings, etc. Downloaded
Didn't find the recipe you were looking for? Search for more here!