Last updated 6/12/2012 1:17:15 AM. Recipe ID 47546. Report a problem with this recipe.
Title: Coffee semifreddo
Yield: 10 Servings
1 c Confectioner's sugar
2 tb Milk
4 tb Butter
1 ts Vanilla extract
1/2 c Flour
1 ts Baking powder
1/2 ts Salt
Confectioner's sugar -- for
3 tb Rum
1/4 c Unsweetened cocoa
1 pt Coffee ice cream --
Chocolate Fudge Sauce (see
Recipe) -- for
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line an 11- by 17- by 1-inch baking
pan with parchment paper (or butter and flour pan). In a small
saucepan over medium-low heat, place milk and butter and heat until
butter is melted. Remove from heat and cool until tepid.
2. In a large bowl, beat eggs and confectioners' sugar together with
a wire whisk until mixture is pale yellow and thickened to
consistency of mayonnaise.
3. Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt. Using a rubber
spatula, gently fold flour mixture into eggs.
4. Scoop 1 cup batter into a small mixing bowl and whisk together with
milk-butter mixture. Fold mixture into batter. This will enable the
heavy milk-butter mixture to be easily and completely folded into the
light, airy batter without deflating it. Pour batter into prepared
pan and bake until cake is pale golden brown and dry on top, and
springs back when gently pressed with finger (20 to 22 minutes).
5. Cool 2 to 3 minutes in pan. Loosen edges of cake from pan with a
small knife. Dust a tea towel with confectioners' sugar. Invert cake
onto sugar-dusted towel; carefully peel away parchment paper from
cake roll. Cool completely.
6. To assemble semifreddo: Cut sponge cake roll into 3 equal
rectangles, each 5-1/4 inches by 11 inches. Sprinkle cake layers with
rum; dust with some of the cocoa.
7. Place one cake layer on a serving tray. Cover with about 1 cup
softened ice cream. Top with a second layer and cover with 1 cup more
ice cream; cover with third layer and freeze.
8. Twenty minutes before serving, remove cake from freezer and let
rest at room temperature. Dust with remaining cocoa. Slice about 1
inch thick and place each slice on a chilled dessert plate. Drizzle
with Chocolate Fudge Sauce. Serve immediately.
Didn't find the recipe you were looking for? Search for more here!