Soused herrings with lemon
Lemon Appetizers Fish
Last updated 6/12/2012 1:23:45 AM. Recipe ID 56972. Report a problem with this recipe.
Title: Soused herrings with lemon
Categories: Appetizers, Fish
Yield: 4 Servings
4 lg Herrings
-- split, cleaned & boned
1 lg Onion; peeled
1 tb Mixed pickling spice
1 Bay leaf
1 ts Marmite
4 tb Hot water
5 tb Wine vinegar
3 tb Lemon juice
2 ts Caster sugar
1 Strip of lemon peel (3")
1. Wash and scale herrings.
2. Roll up, skin side outside, from head end to tail.
3. Arrange side by side in 1-1/2 pint heatproof dish.
4. Slice onion thinly and put into dish between herrings.
5. Sprinkle with spice then add bay leaf.
6. Dissolve Marmite in hot water and stir in vinegar, lemon juice and
sugar. Pour over herrings.
7. Stand strip of lemon peel on top.
8. Sprinkle lightly with salt.
9. Cover and cook in centre of cool oven (300 F or Gas No. 2) for
10. Remove from oven and leave until completely cold before serving.
From: The Marmite Guide to better cooking - by Sonia Allison
Didn't find the recipe you were looking for? Search for more here!