The kaufmans' apple butter
Apple Butter Spreads
Last updated 6/12/2012 1:26:38 AM. Recipe ID 61141. Report a problem with this recipe.
Title: The kaufmans' apple butter
Categories: Spreads, Desserts
Yield: 6 Servings
6 lb Jonathan apples (or other
4 c Water
8 c Apple cider
3 c Sugar
1. Core and quarter unpeeled apples. In an 8 to 10 quart heavy Dutch
oven, combine apples and water. Bring to boiling. Reduce heat. Cover;
simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
2. Drain off liquid. Press apples through a cone-shaped colander or
food mill for applesauce. Discard waste.
3. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, cook apple cider over high heat for
about 30 minutes or till reduced by half.
4. In the Dutch oven, combine applesauce and reduced cider. Bring to
boiling. Reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes, stirring
5. Stir in sugar. Bring to boiling. Reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered,
for 2 to 3 hours or till mixture resembles thick applesauce, stirring
often. (It will thicken as it stands.)
6. Carefully ladle the hot mixture into sterilized, hot, half-pint
jars, leaving 1/4-inch headspace. Adjust lids. Process in boiling
water bath for 5 minutes. (Begin timing when water begins to boil.)
Note: If you like, spoon the apple butter into freezer containers.
Cover and freeze. You can also store it in the refrigerator.
Didn't find the recipe you were looking for? Search for more here!