Southern Okra Fried
Last updated 6/12/2012 1:28:44 AM. Recipe ID 64235. Report a problem with this recipe.
Fried okra means summer in the South. A quick mid-day meal; a side-dish at the evening
meal -- easy to make and always tasty.
For 1 person
1. Wash and drain a couple of handfuls of fresh okra.
2. Cut each okra into three or four slices, about 3/4 to one inch long. Discard the
3. Soak the okra in buttermilk or plain milk, drain, then dredge in seasoned flour &
corn meal. A quick way to do this is to put a half cup of flour and a cup of corn meal
a plastic bag, add the spices you like (salt, pepper, cayenne, cumin, thyme, etc), put
the okra and shake.
4. Let the okra rest a few minutes. If any pieces look soggy, dredge them again in a
flour/corn meal mix.
5. Fry the okra in hot oil. They're done in 2-3 minutes.
6. Drain, and enjoy!
Didn't find the recipe you were looking for? Search for more here!