Last updated 6/12/2012 1:28:46 AM. Recipe ID 64271. Report a problem with this recipe.
* 2 cups (450g) flour
* 1/2 tsp. salt
* 1 tsp. turmeric powder
* 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
* 1/2 tsp. sugar
* 1 tsp. instant yeast
* 1/2 lb. (225g) chickpeas (channa), soaked 8 hours
* 1 tbsp. vegetable oil
* 3 cloves minced garlic
* 1 sliced onion
* 2 tbsp. curry powder
* 1 1/4 cups (300ml) water
* pinch of cumin powder
* 1 tsp. salt
* 1 cup oil for frying
* hot pepper to taste
1. In large bowl combine flour, salt, turmeric, cumin, sugar and yeast.
2. Add enough lukewarm water to make a soft dough. Mix well, cover and let rise 2
3. Boil soaked chickpeas in salted water until tender. Drain well.
4. Heat oil in a heavy skillet, add garlic, onion, and curry powder mixed with 1/4
cup (60ml) water; sauté for a few minutes
5. Add chickpeas, stir to coat well and cook for 5 minutes. Add 1 cup water, cumin,
salt and pepper.
6. Cover, lower heat and simmer until peas are soft; add more water if necessary.
When chickpeas are finished they should be soft and moist; adjust seasoning.
7. Punch down dough and allow to relax for 15 minutes.
8. To shape bara, take about 1 tablespoon of dough, pat with both hands to flatten
to a circle 4 to 5 inches in diameter; use water to moisten palms of hands.
9. Fry a few baras at a time in hot oil; turn once and drain on kitchen paper.
10. Make a sandwich by placing 2 tablespoons of cooked split peas between 2 baras.
11. Add pepper sauce and mango chutney to taste.
Didn't find the recipe you were looking for? Search for more here!