Easy No-knead Raisin Bread
Last updated 6/12/2012 1:28:46 AM. Recipe ID 64286. Report a problem with this recipe.
This bread takes about three hours to make and about ½ hour of hands-on work.
* 1/3 cup lukewarm water
* ½ teaspoon sugar
* 2 packets (4 1/2 teaspoons)active dry yeast
* 3 tablespoons butter
* 4 tablespoons light brown sugar
* 2 teaspoons salt
* 2 cups hot water or buttermilk
* 4 cups white flour
* 2 teaspoons cinnamon
* 1½ cups raisins
1. Mix together 1/3 cup lukewarm water, ½ teaspoon sugar, and the active dry yeast
and let stand.
2. Combine butter, brown sugar, salt, and hot water or buttermilk in a large mixing
bowl. When yeast mixture becomes frothy and increases in volume, add it to the mixing
3. Mix the cinnamon with 2 cups of the flour, then add the mixture to the bowl. Stir
at low speed with an electric mixer for 1 minute. Mix at medium speed for 3 minutes,
scraping the sides of the bowl frequently.
4. Flour the raisins lightly and add them to the mixture.
5. Mix additional flour with a spoon, ¼ to ½ cup at a time, until the dough begins
to pull away from the sides of the bowl or it becomes difficult to add more flour.
6. Cover with plastic wrap and a towel. Place in a warm place with no drafts until
the batter doubles in volume, about 45 minutes to 1 hour.
7. Stir down with a spoon (about 25 strokes).
8. Divide into 2 loaf pans. Wet your fingers and push the dough into the corners and
9. Cover with plastic. Place in a warm place and let the dough rise until it just
reaches the tops of the pans (about 25 minutes). Watch carefully and don't let the
dough rise too high (punch it down and let it rise again if it does).
10. Bake at 375°F (190°C) for 30 to 45 minutes. The bread is done when it sounds
hollow when tapped on the bottom of the pan and is browned to the baker's preference.
11. Turn out on a wire rack and let cool.
Didn't find the recipe you were looking for? Search for more here!